During the festive season, it is of the utmost importance that homeowners take the necessary measures to ensure safety and security. Statistics show that crime is dramatically increased over the festive season. Have you taken precaution to prevent becoming a victim?
Crime in South Africa
67000 people were arrested during last year’s festive season. 704 people were arrested for public violence alone. Police Minister Nathi Mthethwe produced an official statement in the beginning of the year talking about the release of South Africa’s crime stats.
The crimes included in these arrests were:
South Africa Crime Statistics
The Gauteng Premier, Nomvula Mokonyana concluded that according to the crime stats of 2012/13 have proved residential robberies have increased by 3.6%.According to the Mail and Guardian, a press release from the Police Minister states that officials have learnt a lot from the last festive seasons operations and are now more prepared to deal with what comes with it.
Who has it the worst?
Johannesburg has the highest increased crime rate on South Africa. South Africa as a country has a vast history of violence. We are an overall heavily armed society. A major influence of increased violent crime rates are due to the high rate of urbanisation. The economic situation also contributes heavily to the increased crime rates.
What should I look out for?
Homeowners should not only be cautious to outside influences. Christmas trees and decoration are a fire hazard. Faulty lights and electrical faults could put your family at risk for fire hazards. One of the biggest and most exciting parts of Christmas is the food. However, during the hustle and bustle of the festive season, the kitchen plays a role in fire hazard too. It is so easy to get distracted in the kitchen whilst the oven and stove are on full blast. Ensure you have smoke or fire detectors in your kitchen, just in case.
Home Security Tips
- Ensure your alarm system is up and running.
- It is always a good idea to invest in access control, whether it is for your home or your office space. By controlling the access level, you have more control of eliminating crime forces from entering your space.
- If you plan on going away this festive season, notify your security company.
- Ensure all your exterior lighting is adequate and there are no dark areas for suspicious activity.
- CCTV hardware is ideal for large areas. For all property, hotel accommodations, homes, offices and entertainment facilities, CCTV video recording allows crime to be recorded and often scares away perpetrators.
- Do your complex, home or office areas have adequate gates? Do these gates have access control and motors? Ensure your motors and gates are all in working order.
- Intercoms are another level of access control, perfect for homes or business. With intercoms you are able to monitor who enters your home by speaking directly to them. This offers you more control and video monitoring lets you see who is at your door.
- Fire detection and suppression services are available at most security shops. Ensure your house is covered in case of any festive fire mishaps.